Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Maya's New Playroom

For quite awhile now, I have been thinking it would be so cool, to clean up the "finished" part of our basement and turn part of it into a playroom for Maya. About a month ago, I made up my mind that this is really what I wanted to do. I went shopping and got everything I needed to make this a special place for Maya to play. It took many many hours for me to get it just right, and now I can say that I am finished and very proud of what I created. We spend lots of time playing and creating and we LOVE it.

This is what I did:

This is the view from when you walk down the stairs.

If you scroll down, you can take the virtual tour:

I first decided that I would put up the alphabet and numbers 1-30 as a border for the room. I also wanted to put up something so that we could work on colors. I found these hand print cut-outs and fell in love with them. I then put up this four foot chalkboard, so we could play with chalk.

I brought down two bookcases that we had in another part of our house to hold things. The tall bookshelf is a place for her books, puzzles, Lego's, blocks, balls, stereo, etc. The smaller bookshelf is for all of her arts and crafts.

I bought a bunch of these clear little storage boxes and put labels on them. Each box has it's own "activity" in it. There is a box for magnets, pens, crayons, stuff to glue on, beads, pipe cleaners, play dough, finger paints, supplies (glue sticks, scissors, pencils, rulers, etc), stickers, water colors, puppets and stamps.

I now wanted a place for her paper and coloring books, so I bought this rack. I made a painting station out of a presentation board and glued on a bunch of clothes pins. I hung a little plastic container for her paint brushes off of a clothes pin.

The last thing I wanted to give her was a magnet board/dry erase board. She has a ton of magnets to use and play with, but we are going to wait a little longer until we give her the markers. I have a feeling that she would mark up more than the board!!

And even though she doesn't play very often on her play structure, we decided to leave it up and just move it under the staircase.

So there is Maya's playroom. Anytime, you want to play, just let us know!

4 comments:

lindsay said...

Oh my gosh, it's AWESOME! You did a great job! I am totally inspired to make some changes to our playroom.

Anonymous said...

So cute! She must love it.

Auntie Linda

Tayva Singer said...

I'm speechless! Wow!!! Can't wait to come and play with Maya, WOW!!!

Andy & Heather Singer said...

What a fun space!! I'm sure that will keep Maya busy for hours!!