Monday, July 13, 2009

Camping

Just the other day an image of one of my favorite childhood activities popped into my head, CAMPING. I remember going many times each summer with my family. I loved it; helping set up the tent, preparing meals (one of my favorites was making omelets in foil, making banana boats, starting bon fires, roasting marsh mellows, sitting in lawn chairs singing songs late into the night, taking showers with my flip flops on, taking a raft out, and going water skiing on the lake. The list could go on and on.
Well....it just so happens that the other day, my friend Lindsay and I took the kids to the Children's Museum where they had an exhibit on camping. The three of them had a hay day playing with all the camping gear. After taking a bunch of pictures, it was very clear what would happen if she went camping with Henry and Elliot now. Take a look for yourself....

After the three of them set up camp, Maya would probably take a few minutes and have a snack. One of her favorite lines these days is "more snacks."

Then Henry would probably be thirsty, so why not make a whole pot of something hot to drink. Since Lindsay's kids always see her drinking coffee, it would probably be coffee.

Maya would probably be the first one to try it. I'm sure that her response would be "good." Her response to everything these days is good!

When it would be time to prepare a meal, Henry and Maya would plan it very carefully.

They play so well together, that I am sure that it would be a team effort. Whatever one is doing the other one is not far behind.

Speaking of working together and team effort...has anyone seen Elliot?

Oh here he is! Yep....that's right. RELAXING on a hammock!

Henry would then be cooking the food by the campfire. We would just need to give him a quick lesson that pots don't have to be IN the fire, just close by!

But the biggest decision would be who gets to sleep in the tent?? Everyone during the day can play in the tent, but at bedtime, girls sleep with girls and boys sleep with boys. So, I guess that if the three of them really did go camping that we would need another tent!

Maya and Henry resting in the tent.

Maya and Elliot playing in the tent.

Stewart and I can't wait until she is a little older and we can go camping as a family. It would be great to make it a summer family tradition.

Thanks Lindsay for a great play date. Looking forward in seeing and playing with you soon!

1 comment:

Tayva Singer said...

Awesome! Great story and pics! You make me want to go camping too! Looking forward to seeing you Friday!