Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A NEW FAMILY TRADITION.....

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the store and I overheard a lady telling her young little girl (maybe a year or so older than Maya) that they were going to start a new tradition at their home. I was very curious what she was going to show her, so I walked a little closer to them and saw that she was picking up a gingerbread house kit. I smiled at the lady and said, "great idea." I then walked away and continued my shopping. A few minutes later, I caught myself smiling and thinking that it would be an awesome tradition to start at our house. When I finished shopping, I went back over to the gingerbread house display and picked one up. I was so excited. When I got home, I told Stewart, "I would like to start a new family tradition." I pulled the gingerbread house kit out and smiled. He quickly replied, "have fun, I bet Maya will love it."

So, last weekend, I pulled it out. It was a rainy weekend, and I figured that it would be a great time to make it....

Putting the frame of the house together. Maya liked putting the frosting (or what I called "glue") on the pieces.

Holding the frame together. I had to keep reminding her not to push to hard!

While waiting for our roof to dry; Maya and I decided to try the frosting.

Working to put candy on the other half of the roof. I put the "glue" on and Maya chose the candy and the colors.

Putting the buttons on our gingerbread man.

Decorating the tree.

After two days and about 10 hours, we finally finished.

Check out the funny headband that Maya is wearing. When she wears it, she likes to say, "Maya is a cool dude!"

The front of the house.

One side of our house.

The back of the house.

The other side of the house.

The gingerbread men, our tree and our pathway leading to the front door.

What daddy thought of the whole project!

I am looking forward in doing it again next year, but I am hoping (just hoping) that something will be different:

That daddy will help a little more and be a little more excited about it when we are done!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

could she be any cuter?
auntie jen

Anonymous said...

The house looks sensational! What a cute idea but lots of work for such a busy Mom as you with a newborn. Maya loved it but Brooklyn doesn't look impressed. Maybe next year when she gets to help.
Grandma Grace & Zadie

Unknown said...

Can you eat it?? by the time I would be finished...the house would be GONE! Good tradition!